This past week I was invited to attend a webinar about how to host an allergy friendly Super Bowl party and I was thrilled since my youngest is allergic to both peanuts and eggs. Holly Robinson Peete of CBS’s The Talk (who is also married to former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete) generously hosted the Webinar and offered up all her tips! Holly has not one but 4 kids with food allergies so she is a pro!
Here are some of the top tips that I picked up at the webinar that I wanted to pass on to you. If you are planning on hosting an party tomorrow for the big game please keep these tips in mind!
- There’s an app called My EpiPen, where you can create an allergy profile to send to your child’s school, caregiver, other family members, etc., to share information about your child’s food allergy – available for download through iTunes app store. The app also features a brief video and step-by-step slideshow demonstrating the use of an EpiPen Auto-Injector.
- In a potluck situation, it’s a good idea to prepare a dish for kids with food allergies so they always have something to eat that you KNOW is safe for them just in case there are some mystery dishes there.
- Communication is key! Talk with the host of any party or potluck to find out what foods might have allergens in them.
- Use one utensil per dish (i.e. don’t share spoons between different dishes)
- Also communicate with other people who are attending and find out what they might bring. A simple email asking what they might be bringing so you can have an idea would suffice. Maybe add a note that if they include certain ingredients to let the host know. Of course they can bring what they want but just make the host aware
- Be able to recognize the different ways that packaging describes ingredients and allergens. A could host is up on labeling. Check labels and know what to look for and if you do not know what to look for you can always email the family and ask. There is no harm in asking.
Hopefully, these tips help everyone have a healthy and happy Super Bowl party!
Deal”icious Mom’s Disclosure: This is a sponsored post.. The opinions in this post are entirely my own. This post has not been reviewed or edited by anyone. I was given compensation for this post for my time but as always my opinions remain my own.
Hi, I’m Sara! I founded “Deal”icious Mom in 2008 to share my deals and steals with you! We hope you enjoy the fun and save big!