I saw this and I knew I needed to try it. The color of the “water” and the fish, fit right in to summer fun yet the whole recipe is super simple (right up my alley and my ability level!). With the perfect bowl and the right amount of food coloring, I am sure this will be the hit of any party!
- 1 two-liter bottle lemon-lime soda, flat (just leave the cap unscrewed over night)
- 4 1/4-ounce packages unflavored gelatin
- 2 drops blue food coloring
- 2 ounces gummy fish
- Place 1 cup soda in a large bowl. Sprinkle gelatin evenly over soda, and let stand to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Place 2 cups soda in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until just before a boil. Add the softened gelatin, stirring to dissolve the gelatin completely over the heat, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the remaining soda and food coloring, and stir to combine. Pour the liquid into the fish bowl. Using a damp paper towel, carefully remove any bubbles that have formed on the surface. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill overnight.
- When ready to serve, use a sharp knife to make vertical slits in the gelatin; insert the fish in a random pattern to make it look as though they are swimming in the bowl. Keep refrigerated until serving. Serve within 6 hours.